Creamy and satisfying vegan mac and cheese sauce recipe made with simple whole-food plant-based ingredients.
- 1 cup silken tofu (about half a package)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or in hot water for 15-30 minutes, drained
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Better than Boullion veggie
- 1 tsp. Salt (you may add more after blending too)
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. of each: Garlic Powder, Pepper, Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika for a bit of color
- Throw everything in a blender. Blend until smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Taste test. Add a bit of extra soy milk to bring to desired consistency. It shouldn’t be too thick. Add salt & pepper as needed.
- Cook your favorite pasta (or pasta alternative!). We use whatever we have on hand, typically whole wheat elbows or spaghetti. Drain. Stir cheese sauce into warm noodles and serve. Add toppings (veggies + protein) if you’d like!
- We've made this vegan mac and cheese sauce served over spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles as well which are great gluten-free options.
- When reheating the next day, mix in a few splashes of soy milk to help rehydrate and bring back that delicious creamy texture!
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese