These sesame orange cauliflower bites are the perfect savory appetizer to try next! They're vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and delicious.
Main & Topping
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 tbs. sesame seeds
- 2 tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (I use better than bouillon)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbs. tamari
- 2 tbs. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbs. arrowroot starch
- 1 tbs. cold water
Prepare the Sauce:
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet - med. high. Add garlic. Sauté for 2 mins.
- Add everything on this list except for the arrowroot and water to the skillet. Bring it to a simmer, stir occasionally. Cook for 5 minutes. Taste test — does it need anything? Add it now!
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- BLEND the sauce in a high speed blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Return sauce to the skillet and a medium high heat.
- While the sauce coming back to a boil, whisk together the arrowroot starch and water in a small bowl.
- Once the sauce comes to a boil, whisk in the arrowroot mixture. This will thicken the sauce up nicely. Cook for two more minutes at a simmer.
- Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
Next Prep Steps:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare a cooling rack with a sheet of parchment paper underneath for easy cleanup. This setup helps to remove excess batter from the cauliflower before baking.
- Using a paper towel, grease a large cookie sheet for baking with 1 tbs. olive oil.
- Cut cauliflower into bite sized florets.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all batter ingredients.
Batter & Bake
- Dredge the cauliflower florets in the batter bowl in a few batches to make it easier. I got in there with my hands, shook the initial excess batter off into the same bowl first and transferred them to sit on the cooling rack to remove a bit more excess batter. If you leave too much batter on it kind of glues the florets together and isn’t as pretty.
- Transfer the coated cauliflower from the cooling rack to the cookie sheet. Spread everything out evenly in a single layer.
- BAKE at 425 degrees for 25 minutes until golden and sizzly. Test a piece, depending on how thick the batter is, they may need a few more minutes.
- Let the cauliflower cool for a few minutes.
- Toss the cauliflower with the tasty orange sauce to coat. I found it easier to do this in a large bowl vs. directly on the baking sheet. It’s up to you.
- Transfer the sauced wings to your serving dish/plate.
- Sprinkle with 1 tbs. SESAME SEEDS & minced fresh parsley if you want to be fancy!
Try this with broccoli!
Keywords: vegan, cauliflower, appetizer, savory